Subscribe to our newsletter

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust

Meagan's Designs Etsy Shop

Kaedan Krafts Etsy Shop

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Twitter Counter Remote

    What I want to buy!

    Thursday, May 15, 2008

    BeadFloraJewels-The Master of Beading

    BeadFloraJewels (or Fen as the non-etsy world knows her) is a great new etsyians that is the master of beading. She beads these amazing flowers that takes her hours to make and leaves those who see her work in awe. As a member of the One A Day Challenge I have witnessed her amazing creations on a daily basis and now is your turn! Here is my interview with BeadFloraJewels.
    Her shop is located at:
    http://www.beadflorajewels.etsy.com


    Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)

    My name is Fen and my title on my business card says “Beadmaster”, a play on the word webmaster. I went to college for web design. It’s funny how I’ve forgotten all the coding and stuff. In my third year, I decided it’s not what I want to do. If I didn’t spend all my time beading, I would have been a better web designer… lol.

    I live in the great Cheese and Cow state of Wisconsin. In high school, I was referred to as the Cheese Queen (or simply The Cheese *shrug*).

    What is the name of your Shop?

    My shop is known as Bead Flora and Jewels. I forget how I came up with Bead Flora. It must have been 3 or 4 years ago… I guess it just popped into my head and just ran with it.


    Please describe your creative process (how, when, materials, etc).

    My creative process is anticipation the whole time. I don’t know what I’ll have until the finished product is done! I go to Joanne’s or Michael’s almost every week. I would see something and it would be filed in the back of my mind. For example with my cute little sunflower pot…I saw the pots at Joanne’s. I was making these tiny flowers and was making pins out of it. Then something hit me. Bam!

    But most times, I just start stringing beads…and things would come out. I do have beaders’ block a lot of times too. I have my beading droughts were I went months without doing anything. No wonder I was so depressed those few months. Lol…


    What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

    I like to look at flower arranging books…I’ve bought tons of those books but never done any of the arrangements. It’s just so pretty to look at. When I go to the stores, I look at flower arrangements and potted plants, etc. even if they aren’t beaded. I look at the stuff at the stores, and I say “I can bead that.” Though, I’ve never really felt the urge to replicate anything I’ve seen.

    How did you get into your craft?

    I was in the second year of college and just got back from the Bead and Button show in Milwaukee. I was doing seed bead jewelry at that time…I was on the internet, like most college students, and was googling beaded jewelry. Then I came upon these gorgeous beaded flowers. Long story short, I bought some books online, beaded when I was supposed to be doing homework, and many years of practice later, here I am selling on Etsy.

    Apart from creating things, what do you do?

    Besides creating things, I work in Finance and sit on my ass all day. This job takes up too much of my time when I should be beadin’. I try to make time to hang out with my hubby.

    How do you promote your work?

    I just started out on Etsy and haven’t done much selling outside of it. My flowers were in a craft shop for consignment but the shop closed two weeks later. I want to contact some wedding shops or craft shops for them to display my work. I also am interested in doing a craft show, but I’m hesitant because I’d need more product first.

    What do you love about etsy?

    The one thing I love most about Etsy are the friends I met there...the One a Day Challengers. The chickies there keep me motivated to create. I don’t believe I would have as much stuff as I do now if it wasn’t for the challenge.

    My goal is to be able to do this full time so I can quit my day job!

    1 comment:

    fluffnflowers said...

    Very cool! Her stuff is totally amazing, so thanks for posting this.